Protective Packaging: Tips and Techniques from Assembly Experts
Back to What We Think
Packaging is one of the most important areas of the order fulfillment and shipping process. No matter how efficiently an order is processed or how quickly it's delivered to the customer, if the product arrives damaged then the system has failed. Expensive returns and rework follow, creating waste that can be eliminated by ensuring that protective packaging is in place from the beginning.
Techniques to Ensure Protective PackagingThere are many options when it comes time to pack products up and ship them out, some more effective than others. We use some of the following techniques to make sure that the products we ship are well protected in transit:
- Overwrapping - a fully enclosed wrap, using heat-sealed film or paper around one or more products. You may be more familiar with this technique as ‘gift wrapping'. It can also be called 'tuck and fold' or 'diamond-end fold' wrapping.
- Stretch Banding - the application of various different heat-sealed materials, banded around one or many products to create a bundle. By using printed film, product information can also be shown on the package, offering improved handling and verification for different orders.
- Casepacking - places multiple products or bundles in a shipping carton that is then closed with hot-melt or adhesive tape.
- Green Packing - using environmentally friendly materials such as new recycled corrugated boxes, crumpled craft paper, and post-consumer recycled plastic products (air bags, etc.) as default packing materials.
Achieve Outstanding AssemblyIn the same breath as discussing packaging, it's important to consider the complexity of your assembly needs. Often it can be a big challenge for a business to get products assembled in a way that's both affordable and professional. For some clients, assembly work is all that we do and so we've honed in on the best ways to achieve outstanding assembly. Consider the following questions before you decide how your assembly process will be set up:
- What kind of presentation do you need for the products to be shipped?
- How many products will be in the same package? Should they be bundled together or separated?
- How will you identify and track what's in the package?
- How big is the order and what resources will it require to assemble?
B2B Retail Fulfillment
Information and articles covering B2B retail fulfillment and shipping business to business for retail outlets, including bulk order management, inventory control, retailer compliance and real-world retail trends.
How Capacity has helped brands catalyze growth and adapt to the supply chain challenges that come with it.
Insights around delighting customers through frictionless fulfillment and exceptional unboxing experiences.
Trends, topics, and industry updates covering online shopping, direct-to-consumer strategy, and everything eCommerce.
Articles and information on EDI integrations, including trading partners and platforms, compliance with retailer requirements, and challenges associated with EDI fulfillment.
Articles and videos covering the broad spectrum of order fulfillment, from eCommerce and EDI to B2B and bricks + mortar retail.
Supply Chain Strategy
Articles on trends and best practices for logistics, order fulfillment, and other strategic aspects of supply chain management.
Articles on the technology that underpins order processing, inventory management, EDI fulfillment, and other aspects of the sectors we serve.